What Can We Do to Help the Hostage?

If you are not a family member of the hostage: notify the family or next of kin immediately.

If you are a family member, you should inform the police, the relevant government department (e.g. Foreign Office Consular Directorate (Special Cases Unit) in the UK) and the hostage’s employers, if they have not already been in contact with you.

If you are the employer: notify the family immediately and also the relevant police or government body.

Offer your support to those affected by the kidnap including the family, close friends and colleagues, but do not talk about the incident to others outside of this circle as this could jeopardise the hostage’s safety.